Currently under construction; in the meantime, documentation currently lives here.
Welcome to the official documentation for the GriefPrevention Bukkit plugin. From configuration files to command and permission references, this site aims to have it all.
Note: "Bukkit" refers to the modding API that GriefPrevention (and many other) plugins are built off of. Server software such as Spigot, Paper, Tuinity, CraftBukkit, etc. all implement Bukkit, and therefore GriefPrevention can run on all of these servers. So, the following phrases, while not fully accurate, are true: GriefPrevention Spigot plugin, GriefPrevention Paper plugin, etc.
Get started either by
- Searching for what you want in the searchbar at the top, or
- Selecting a topic of interest on the left
- or if on phone, by tapping the hamburger button (menu button) on the top right.
This new site replaces the old wiki. If any page is missing info, has typos, or is just plain wrong, feel free to fix it via the "Edit this page" link at the bottom of any page. You can also add new pages too.
GriefPrevention is a Minecraft server plugin which stops grief before it starts automatically without any effort from administrators, and with very little (self service) effort from players. Solve all your grief problems with a single download, no database, and no configuration step (the default configuration is sane and will likely be all you need, but of course everything is configurable and fine-tuneable to your liking).
No database or world backups required.
Extremely efficient CPU / RAM usage.
Land claims are easy to manage.
- Players create and manage their own land claims, so you don't have to do it for them.
- New players get automatic claims around their first chests so they're protected even if they don't know how to create land claims yet.
- Players who ask for help in chat get an instant link to a demonstration video.
- Resizing claims and creating new claims is done with ONLY the mouse, no slash commands (slash commands are also available).
- When a player appears to be building something nice outside his claim, he's warned and shown his claim boundaries.
- Claim boundaries are easy to see, and don't require any client-side mod installation.
- Extremely easy-to-remember, single-parameter slash commands for giving other players permissions.
- Claim subdivision and granular permissions are available to organize towns and cities. Watch this video.
It's IMPOSSIBLE to grief a land claim. Watch this video.
- No building or breaking.
- No stealing from ANY containers.
- No sleeping in beds.
- No button/lever usage.
- No adjusting redstone repeaters or other configurable blocks.
- No pushing blocks in with pistons.
- No pulling blocks out with pistons.
- No TNT damage (including cannons).
- No creeper damage.
- No explosive damage from other plugins, like Extra Hard Mode or Magic Spells.
- No enderman/silverfish block changes.
- All doors may be automatically locked (optional, see config file).
- No killing or luring animals away.
- No stealing water (e.g. buckets).
- No trampling crops by players, animals, or monsters.
- No building overtop, all claims reach to the max build height.
- No placing or breaking paintings / item frames / armor stands, etc.
- Fluids will not flow into a claim from outside.
- No placing blocks via TNT/Sand/Gravel cannon.
Pets and death loot are protected.
- Players can't pick up what another player dropped on death without permission (configurable, of course)
- All types of pets can be protected everywhere, even outside of land claims (can be configured per-world).
Excellent anti-spam protection
- Warns, then mutes, then may kick or ban spammers (configurable - you choose).
- Most spammers get only one message out before they're muted.
- Blocks server advertising (IP addresses).
- Blocks repeat message spam.
- Blocks ASCII art (ex. Nyan Cats) spam.
- Blocks similar message spam.
- Blocks unreadable (gibberish) message spam.
- Blocks CAPS.
- Blocks macro spam (very different messages in quick succession).
- Blocks login/logout spam, even when the spammer has multiple accounts.
- Blocks death spam.
- Blocks bot team spam.
- Blocks slash command spam, including /tell, /emote, and any more you add.
Wilderness Protection and Rollback
- Fire doesn't spread or destroy blocks.
- Creepers and other explosions don't destroy blocks above sea level.
- TNT doesn't destroy blocks above sea level.
- No planting trees on platforms in the sky ("tree grief").
- Instant, point and click nature restoration for not-claimed areas. Watch this video.
- Insanely easy and fast fixes for penises, swastikas, and anything else unsightly.
- Point at what you don't like and click, and it's fixed. Even from far away.
- Never accidentally changes blocks inside land claims.
- No need to investigate who built it, who broke it, or when they did it.
- Doesn't matter if the griefer built with "natural" blocks, it will still be fixed.
- No database.
- No backups.
- No chunk regeneration (it's dangerous for technical reasons).
- Fixes bad chunk generations, like floating islands. It will be better than new.
- Fills holes, even next to water to correct big spills.
- Smooths noisy terrain.
- No griefer construction is safe. If it's unnatural enough to be noticeable by players, it will be removed or filled-in.
Land claims can't be used as a griefing tool.
- It's impossible to get a player "stuck" inside a land claim.
- Land claims beyond the first require a golden shovel.
- Minimum claim size prevents sprinkling small claims to annoy other players.
- Max claim allowance grows with time played on the server, and can't be cheated by idling.
- A simple administrative slash command will instantly remove all of a griefer's claims, no matter where they are.
Catches clever griefers.
- Enhances the /ban command to ban ALL a griefer's accounts (not just his IP address).
- Logs sign placements.
- /SoftMute command to shut down chat trolls without them knowing they're beaten.
- Abridged chat logs make reviewing what happened while you were away super-quick and easy.
- Automatically mutes new-to-server players who use racial or homophobic slurs.
- When PvP is off, no setting fire or dumping lava near other players.
- Absolutely bullet-proof anti-spawn-camping protection including bed respawns, which requires no configuration.
- No logging out, stashing items, or using plugin teleportation to escape combat.
- Optional siege mode, to answer players who hide in their claimed houses to avoid combat.
Supports your server growth.
- Permit players to exchange server currency for claim blocks (requires configuration and other plugins).
- Grant claim blocks automatically for votes, donations, etc (console command provided, other plugins required).